Tuesday, August 2, 2011

New Trend in Childbirth: Women Forgoing Epidurals for Hypnosis

Personal question: Are you an epidural kind of gal or all-naturale? I thought I was the latter until 30+ hours of painful back labor with my first baby nearly did me in. But, I read about a newish trend in childbirth called HypnoBirthing, where a woman uses a form of hypnosis to control the pain of childbirth, and I was so fascinated ...


HypnoBirthing has been around since the 1950s, but celeb moms including Jessica Alba, Giselle Bundschen, and Pamela Anderson who are said to be fans, have a lot of women interested, ABC News reports. (Actress Tiffani Thiessen of "Saved By the Bell" and "90210" has reportedly just signed up for a HypnoBirth.).


So what is it? Think childbirth without all the screaming and anxiety (or drugs). "There's a calmness and not as much fuss," says HypnoBirth's founder. "That's the way babies are meant to come into the world."


Also, there's no pushing involved, instead, women are told to "breathe down the baby" in coordination with her body's contractions. And the pain? Rigorous practice in the months before giving birth give the woman coping skills like one where she "imagines each color of rainbow and associate it with relaxing different parts of the body."


I'm all for calm, zen-like childbirth experiences, but I don't know that a rainbow could help me endure 24+ hours of intense, back-breaking labor (read my birth story here). :) Still, I'm of the "don't knock it till you try it" mindset--so I'll reserve my judgment. The one thing I always tell people, and believe wholeheartedly, is that there is no shame in whichever labor method you choose. Every woman is different. Every labor is different.


What do you think? Would you be interested in trying this?

No comments:

Post a Comment