Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sex Question: I'm Self-Conscious About My Inverted Nipples, Should I Have Surgery to Fix Them?

Dear Dr. Kate,


I have inverted nipples-and it took me two years of being in my last relationship before I let him see me completely naked because I'm so embarrassed about them. Will this ever change, or is there surgery to fix it?


You're not alone-about 10 to 20 percent of all women have flat or inverted nipples. It's normal, in the same way that the color and size of areolae differ from woman to woman. So it's pretty likely that a man you're with has seen inverted nipples before! Your nipples won't change-while they may become erect and protrude when you're aroused, they won't stay that way-but I don't think there's anything to "fix." If you search the web you'll find multiple surgeons offering surgical "correction" of inverted nipples, but there are real risks. You may not ever be able to breastfeed (surgery would likely break up the milk ducts connecting to the nipple). And surgery may cause permanent nerve damage, making your nipples insensitive-so they would no longer be inverted, but wouldn't give you pleasure, either. Doesn't sound like a worthy trade-off to me. My advice would be to consider your nipples one of the many quirks that make you unique-and beautiful.


Readers, do you ever feel self-conscious being naked in front of your guy? Would you consider getting surgery to change something like inverted nipples? Have you gotten this kind of surgery, and did it make you feel more confident?


Have a sex health question of your own? Ask Dr. Kate here, and keep checking back to see if she's answered it.

No comments:

Post a Comment