Saturday, March 26, 2011

Breakfast At Your Desk: Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes, Smothered in Berries

I'm still obsessed with my make and freeze banana pancakes, but I'm thinking about cheating on them with this new recipe. Don't lemon poppy seed pancakes sound divine? Better yet, smother them in antioxidant-rich, end-of-summer berries! The recipes, and a photo that will make you drool...


Before I go any further, I feel compelled to tell you that when I initially typed the headline above, I typed "poopy" instead of "poppy." So glad I caught that one.


Anywho. I found this recipe over at the beautiful blog Picky Cook (lots of tasty inspiration here--check it out!):


Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes


Makes 12 pancakes (enjoy one, freeze the rest)


Recipe adapted from Picky Cook


Ingredients:


2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (but knowing me, I'm opting for whole-wheat--why not?)


1 teaspoon baking powder


1/2 teaspoon baking soda


1/3 cup sugar (Note from Sarah: I tend to find that pancakes don't need sugar when you plan on drizzling them with maple syrup, but in this case, berries are the topping so a little sugar is fine--but you can always use less than the recipe calls for. I plan on using half this much)


Pinch of salt


1/3 cup poppy seeds


Zest of 4 lemons


2 cups buttermilk


2 large eggs, lightly beaten


1/3 cup poppy seeds


Cooking spray for pan


Fresh berries for topping


Preparation:


To make the pancakes combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt in a large bowl. In another bowl the buttermilk, eggs, butter, lemon zest and poppy seeds. Add the wet to the dry. Stir all the ingredients until they are just combined. Don't worry if the batter is a bit lumpy, you don't want to over mix.


Heat your skillet, pan, or griddle to medium-hot and coat it with cooking spray. Test for the right temperature. If a drop of water dropped onto the pan starts to dance, you are in the ballpark. Pour about 1/3 of a cup of batter into the skillet. Wait until the pancake bottom is deep golden in color, then flip with a spatula and cook the other side until golden and cooked through. Repeat with the remaining batter.


P.S. Check out the method I used to make my last batch of make-and-freeze pancakes (just made more this morning)--this little trick has totally transformed breakfast at my house!

No comments:

Post a Comment