Friday, June 3, 2011

Health Folklore: Do You Believe in the Power of a Full Moon?

Are you suspicious about full moons? I know people who swear that more crimes are committed, more babies are conceived and born, and more people are admitted to hospitals on nights where the moon is full. And when my sister told me her prediction--that my baby would be born on December 12 (next Friday!), when a full moon is predicted, I wondered what research had to say on the topic--and what you thought, too...


Let me preface this by telling you that I am probably the least superstitious person I know. Cemeteries don't even freak me out. But I was a little spooked at what I read about full moons and how they affect human behavior.


Past studies suggest that some wacky things happen when a full moon is in the sky. For instance, University of Miami researchers analyzed crime data over the course of 15 years in the Miami area and found that violent crime was more likely to be committed on--you guessed it--full-moon nights. Still more studies have suggested that full moons bring out other scary behaviors, such as arson, risky driving and kleptomania.


But what about our health? One British study found that more people visit hospitals or make doctor appointments in the days preceding a full moon. Even so, the researchers have no idea why.


As far as more babies being born on days where the moon is full, I haven't found any solid evidence. But, I did talk to a few delivery room nurses a few years ago who swore that full moons brought in more deliveries than regular nights. So, I guess I'll have to wait until December 12 to see if the prediction is true for me!


What do you think about full moons and the supposed connection to human behavior? Do you buy it or think it's a bunch of baloney? Or, do you have any crazy-but-true full moon stories? If so, share! And, what's your prediction for my delivery? Will Vitamin G's first baby be born on a full-moon night?

No comments:

Post a Comment