Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I Tried It: The New "Tea" Coffee Everyone's Talking About

Guys, you know I love my coffee. I live in Seattle for crying out loud. But lately I've just been feeling that my daily (alright, twice-daily) coffee break is leaving my system a little off. I didn't think I could quit, until I discovered this newish "coffee" made from tea...


Someone recently told me about Teecino, a "coffee alternative" that's made from chicory root (and other all-natural ingredients), then I was flipping through the new issue of Marie Claire and saw it there. Time to get my hands on this stuff, I decided.


The selling points that caught my eye: naturally acid-free (so no upset stomach after drinking), naturally caffeine-free, high in heart-healthy potassium, and rich in inulin, a soluble fiber that helps improve digestion and elimination plus increase absorption of calcium and minerals.


Sounds great, right? I sure thought so.


I opened a package and sprinkled the grounds into my coffee maker. The instructions said to brew just like coffee--so I did, a little cautiously. It smelled like coffee, it looked like coffee, but would it taste like coffee? A few minutes later I poured myself a cup of the freshly brewed mystery beverage. And it was ...


...not bad! If I was going to be really critical, I'd note that there was a slightly funny aftertaste, but not bad. The overall flavor was rich and dark and creamy tasting.


Beyond flavor, I also liked how this beverage didn't leave me with the "coffee feeling"--you know: upset stomach, digestive issues, jitters, etc.


Have you guys tried this stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment