Sunday, May 8, 2011

Everyone's Talking About Hula Hooping! Could You Get Into It?

I think we're experiencing a hula hoop revival. Everywhere I look, someone's talking about them! Truth be told, I'm a huge fan. They make me feel like I'm exactly 12 years old, and I can't take a spin without giggling. Fun, yes, and healthy too, say some fitness experts. Do you own one? Should you buy one?


I spent the 4th of July holiday at my grandma's beach house and some of my younger cousins brought out the hula hoops. Of course, I had to pick one up and show off a little (I was once a hula-hooping champ back in the day, you know--well, if you count family competitions on the lawn!).


"Hooping," as Laurel House writes on Shine, "is becoming the exercise of choice for everyone from hipsters to boomers all looking to make their workouts do more in less time and actually enjoy it." She goes on to write about a woman who lost two dress sizes in two months by hooping alone. "Most of all, people are happy when they're hooping. It doesn't even feel like exercise!"


So, what can hooping do for you? House says it can tone your abs, butt, arms, and thighs, as well as increase flexibility, strengthen your core and release toxins.


All from the humble hula hoop, (which, P.S., also makes a great cheap summer date idea!)


Are you a fan of hooping?

No comments:

Post a Comment