Sunday, April 3, 2011

Breakfast at Your Desk: Something New (and Healthy) to Sweeten Your Morning Coffee

How do you take your coffee? I'm a half-and-half kind of girl. But, I'm kind of digging these new, all-natural sweeteners ...


I was recently sent a few bottles of Wholesome Sweeteners new line of flavored blue agave syrups. It's sort of a fun spin on agave, which many of us (me included) are fans of. The cinnamon and vanilla flavors are divine--I repeat, divine--in coffee or drizzled very lightly on fresh strawberries (not that they needed any extra sweetness, but the carton I bought yesterday was filled with tart strawberries--pucker!).


I like agave because it's less processed than table sugar and it's also 25 percent sweeter, which means you can use less. Bonus: it has a lower glycemic index than sugar, too, which means less chance you'll experience a sugar high followed by a sugar low.


Another hunch I have about agave nectar, though it's yet to be proven by science (at least for now) is that it could be a good source of antioxidants. Given researchers recent findings about maple syrup's big antioxidant punch, I have to wonder if the same could be true of agave. Think: It comes from a plant and is unrefined and unprocessed.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment