Thursday, April 28, 2011

Mental Health Minute: Do You Comfort Yourself With Candy?

We all have our favorite comfort foods. When I was recovering from surgery I had zero appetite (hence the weight loss), but I did turn to my go-to comfort food (toast and jam). According to some, the bad economy--and stress in general--is turning many people to sugar...


To me, tea, toast and jam is like a big hug. (And, weird but true: Jam has health benefits.) I've been adoring the new strawberry-rhubarb-rosemary jam from Breadbar, a swanky bakery/cafe in California. Mmmm.


According to this New York Times article, hard economic times are turning more people to candy. The theory: "For many, sugar lifts spirits dragged low by the languishing economy. For others, candy also provides a nostalgic reminder of better times. And not insignificantly, it is relatively cheap."


P.S. Check out these "healthy" gummy bears. And, honey candy--yum.


Tell me, is candy comforting to you? If so, what's your candy of choice?

No comments:

Post a Comment