Thursday, April 14, 2011

Sex Question: Could Dirty Toilets Have Caused My Infection?

Dear Dr. H,


I live in school dorms and the toilets are really filthy. I have been getting infections--feeling itchy and having sores outside of my vagina, not inside. Could the toilets have anything to do with this?


Read on for Dr. Hilda Hutcherson's response.


A. Dirty toilets do not cause sores on your vulva or vagina. It sounds like you may have a genital herpes infection. I would suggest that you see your gynecologist for an exam and cultures--and it's important that your doctor see you when the sores are present. In the meantime, you should use condoms during intercourse and avoid sex when you have an outbreak. About those dirty toilets: Your ob-gyn can't help, but I'd definitely recommend having a talk with the folks on your floor about a bathroom cleaning schedule and protocol. You can also wipe the toilet seat and cover it with tissue before taking a seat--or using the good ol' squat technique.


Readers, do you have any questions about infections or sores? Let's talk about them here!

No comments:

Post a Comment