Sunday, April 17, 2011

Remember Mr. Bubble?

I have a very clear picture in my mind of that pink bottle of bubbles that our parents used to pour into the bath tub when my little sister and I would take baths together. Didn't every child of the 70s, 80s, and maybe even the 90s, grow up with this stuff? But wait, could Mr. Bubble be the cause of thousands of childhood UTIs--mine included?


I read a post from Tracie over at Jezebel recently about the health problems of the "Mr. Bubble Generation," or so it's called. Here's what she had to say: "As a child, I repeatedly experienced burning and irritation when I urinated, along with a constant urge to pee, way before I ever knew what a UTI was... or that it even had a name. I'm not sure that I even complained about it to my mother, thinking it was just a way of life. I was big into bubble baths, and was partial to the pretty pink packaging of Mr. Bubble."


[Inserted comment from Sarah: Um, that was my exact experience growing up!]


"I recently told all of this to sexpert Susie Bright, and she said, 'Oh! You're part of the Mr. Bubble Generation. I've heard of this!' Many of the women I know have similar stories of chronic UTIs that might be linked to frequent childhood bubble baths. Ironically, until 2005, Mr. Bubble had been manufactured by Playtex, which specializes in baby products, lingerie and feminine hygiene. In 1987, the FDA required that all children's bubble bath products carry a warning label about the risk of irritation to the skin and urinary tract from prolonged exposure. (In March 2009, Mr. Bubble introduced a new "pediatrician approved" formula.) However, it doesn't seem as though any studies have been conducted about the women who grew up using these products, and how it affects their sexual health as adults."


While little is known about the lasting health effects of frequent bubble bath-induced UTIs from childhood, most doctors recommend avoiding bubble baths entirely if you tend to get UTIs.


Did you take Mr. Bubble baths as a kid? Did you get UTIs? Do you get them now?

No comments:

Post a Comment